Thursday 11 July 2013

BLT wrap

We will be cooking chicken fajitas tomorrow, and we always have too many wraps left over, so for lunch today I decided to try a BLT wrap. 

I don't know if you are like me, but quite a few fussy eaters that I've talked to, claim to not like fresh tomatoes. Well after a suggestion from my lovely wife, we tried removing all the pulp and seeds, leaving only the tomato flesh. I although I wouldn't want to eat one on its own, it turned out to improve the flavour and texture quite significantly. (tip: keep the discarded pulp in a small pot in the freezer, and add it to the next bolognaise with the tinned tomatoes) There is also the benefit that your sandwiches don't go soggy from the tomatoes.


Ingredients:

2 healthy / low fat wraps ( I like these Tesco Light Choices Tortilla Wraps)
4 rashers of grilled bacon (remove all visible fat prior to cooking)
5/6 shredded romaine lettuce leaves
2 chopped and de-pulped tomatoes
1 chopped spring onion
1cm shredded cucumber 
1 tbsp light mayo
50g crumbled light feta cheese


How to: 

  1. Spread 1 tbsp of mayo in a line down the center of each wrap
  2. Arrange half of the ingredients in a line on each wrap
  3. Roll up the wrap
  4. Eat
  5. Pick up the bits that fall out of the end of the wrap
Serves 1

This is a quick and easy lunch and by changing the bread from a traditional BLT makes it a little more interesting. Also if wrapped carefully, it can be taken to work or out and about if you are traveling. I would suggest that you take a napkin or paper towel with you as if the wrap is a little over stuffed, if can get messy.   

No comments: