Wednesday 24 July 2013

Week four

Well I'm just about four weeks in to my new life style and I'm surprised as to how well I am feeling. I still suffer with cravings and the need to comfort eat, but apart from a few minor wobbles I'm doing well.

This week however I when I had to pull my belt in another notch, I decided to measure the distance between the last hole on my belt (where I started) and the 5th hole I used for the first time today. It was an amazing 11.5 centimeters, or 4 1/2 inches for the old folks out there. I admit in the great scheme of things I still have a huge way to go, but 11 and a half centimeters in just four weeks has left me with a grin a mile wide.

Another thing I noticed this week was walking around our village in the summer heat wasn't killing me. I felt like I was walking not waddling for the first time in ages and that made me feel good. This healthy living lark isn't easy, not by a long shot, but I find focusing on these small milestones or feelings of achievement really help, especially when I feel a dip coming on. All the good intentions in the world are no match for a mood dip and the need to eat to satisfy an emotional need. But remembering how I felt when I noticed a change in my body, that feeling of accomplishment, pride and well being does go some way in fighting the need for food.

I thought I had finally rid myself of the carbohydrate cravings, but they were back again this week. Luckily I had a massive computer project to complete this week, so I managed to distract myself with an awful lot of programming and only one minor wobble, but I am happy to report that the wobble only consisted of an extra 2 small slices of wholemeal bread and a soft cheese pretzel from Tesco. I'm happy that when I did falter I made a controlled choice and did not resort to mindless eating that I would have succumbed to only a month ago.

So with a smaller waist and a lighter step, we head off towards month two and August.

P.S. The numbers for the Tesco pretzel are; Calories 315 and 5g of fat (1g saturated). So for falling off the wagon, it wasn't such a bad slip.

No comments: