Sunday 21 July 2013

Shift that ass

So its about time I faced that dirty word, 'exercise'. We all know how it is supposed to be good for us, but when you are morbidly obese just the thought of a planned exercise session is enough to tire you out.

Now that I have lost some weight, I am starting to feel lighter and a lot of the every day aches and pains are less noticeable. I am also feeling less head fug. When combined the thought of exercise isn't that bad. However I'm in no fit state to start preparing for a half marathon. So how to get more active without ending up in A&E? Well my first ploy was to not park as close to the place I was going, I parked on the far side of the supermarket car park, whilst in town I used the out of town park and ride, which drops you on the main street in town, which means walking around town, rather than hopping into the car between shops.

This might not seem like a huge effort to fit people, but try giving a piggyback to another person for a couple of hundred yards, then you know what it feels like. I'm not looking for sympathy, I accept that I ate those pizzas and burgers and scarfed down those sweets, for whatever reasons I had at the time. But when faced with exercise, obese people really struggle to even get started and sometimes a small fail early on can deter further efforts. So small steps and easily achievable goals is a positive step forward, no matter how small.

So back to my active plan; I have also made a conscious effort to make sure when I need something from upstairs, I go get it, rather than think that it is too much effort and do without. I also make a point of getting up from the computer, whilst working at least once an hour and walking about a bit. It helps with concentration as well as burning a few more calories.

If the thought of an exercise DVD fills you with dread, then pick up your mp3 player, crank up your favorite dance music and have fun. With the curtains closed and the door firmly shut, enjoying a personal boogie can burn off a few extra calories. You might feel a little self conscious at first, but just feel the music and shake your butt in time to the beat.


No comments: