Tuesday 29 July 2014

10% Benefits

I've done a bit of reading about the benefits of losing just 10% of your body weight and I thought it would make a great blog post.

First the medical benefits;

A healthier heart. With less you to lug around your heart doesn't have to work as hard, this can lower your blood pressure. Also to lose the weight, you will be eating healthier food, lowering your cholesterol.

You will reduce your risk for developing diabetes. Fat interferes with your bodies ability to regulate insulin.

A decreased risk of some cancers, studies have shown that reducing body fat can lower the risk for breast and colon cancer.

A healthier gallbladder. A diet rich in fatty foods puts a strain on your liver and gallbladder. Take it from me, when it goes wrong it can really hurt. Especially when the gallstones block your pancreas and you spend a week in intensive care.

Less pain. Our bodies were designed to carry a little fat to see us through the lean times, but not to waddle us into obesity. Reducing your body weight by 10% can significantly lighten the stresses on your joints.

Now for the other benefits;

Better sleep. Many obese people develop obstructive sleep apnea, and never know it. Every night your body fights for oxygen as your airway closes from the effect of fat weighing down your neck muscles, closing off your airway. Although you don't realise it, you wake up momentarily to gasp for breath. This broken sleep contributes to the lack of energy you may feel.

More energy. I thought this one was being over exaggerated, but having lost over 10% of my body weight now, I can vouch for the validity of the claim. I'm not going to be running the London marathon any time soon, but walking is becoming a pleasure rather than a source of pain. I wake up feeling ready to take on the world. I just need to build my stamina levels up to match the energy I feel I have.

And finally one for the guys, did you know that fat cells produce estrogen? The more fat you have, the more estrogen you can pump into your system.The more estrogen the lower your sex drive. So reduce your body weight by 10% to really kick start your body.

No comments: