Wednesday 23 July 2014

Week 4 weigh in

SEVEN freakin' pounds lost this week! Sept, sieben, sewe, siet, that's right another seven pounds lost, taking my total weight loss to 38 pounds, earning me my two and a half stone award and two more stickers for my collection. I won slimmer of the week too.

I knew I could lose weight fairly quickly but to have lost thirty eight pounds in four weeks of healthy eating has astounded me. I know that all of the conventional wisdom says slow and steady or you will put it all back on again. The main reason why people who lose large amounts of weight quickly regain the weight, is because they crash diet for a short period, lose the weight and then go back to their old unhealthy eating habits. I'm not on a diet, I'm eating healthy food, which I plan on eating for the rest of my life. I have however made a choice to completely cut out take away food for the next year to help speed up my weight loss.

I want to say that I enjoyed every tasty calorie I ate on my journey into obesity, but in all honesty, a lot of what I ate was just stuffed in my face mindlessly as I watched TV or sat at a desk working. Whole packets of biscuits would disappear as eating was easier than feeling. I'd rather get food delivered than cook, convincing myself that the diet would start tomorrow or after the weekend. After five weeks of eating proper food, I can honestly say I don't miss junk food in the slightest. Last night my wife asked for a McBurger and salad for her dinner, the thought of that grease sodden food actually turned my stomach. The smell from the drive though was even worse.

Slimming World has an award called Club 10, which you receive when you lose 10% of your body weight. I'm a couple of pounds away from it now and am really feeling the benefit. When you are morbidly obese, simple jobs are difficult if not painful. Losing 10% of your body weight feels like you have been given a massive injection of energy, without the painful needle. I'm not going to run a marathon any time soon, but I feel like I could. I want to get active and it's only the buggered nerve in my spine that is slowing me down. But even that has gotten better. I've been able to reduce my intake of pain killers and can stay active longer between breaks.

That's enough of sitting on my arse writing this blog entry, the lawn needs mowing and weeds need pulling and I have plenty of calories that need burning.

No comments: