Tuesday 15 July 2014

Healthy Burrito

I've posted before that I love Mexican style food, but good places to eat healthy food are extremely limited. Here in the UK we are limited to one or two chain restaurants and the occasional independent place. So I end up cooking myself.

When I cook chilli, I tend to cook up a big batch and stock up the freezer, that way a fast but filling lunch is quick to make. Today our English summer is not playing ball and I really didn't fancy the salad I'd planned. So a quick rummage through the freezer unearthed a wrap and a portion of chilli. I also had half a tin of baked beans that needed using up, so I have the ingredients for chilli burrito and frijoles refritos.

Ingredients:

For the burrito (serves 1).

200g healthy beef chilli
1 wholemeal wrap
30g cheddar cheese, grated
100ml passata
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp hot chili powder
¼ tsp ground cumin
pinch dried oregano

For the refried beans.

200g cooked pinto beans (half a can of baked beans with the sauce washed off)
½ onion, chopped
3-5 tbsp chicken stock

How to:

  1. Stir the herbs and spices into the passata
  2. Put the chilli in a line in the center of the wrap and roll it up. Put the wrap in an oven proof dish, with the overlapping seam of the burrito on the bottom side.
  3. Pour the sauce over the burrito
  4. Sprinkle with cheese, I like to add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper on the cheese.
  5. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for 20 minutes, or until the cheese had browned.
  6. Dry fry the chopped onion until it starts to brown.
  7. Add the beans and continue cooking, as the beans soften, mash them roughly with the back of a spoon.
  8. Add chicken stock if the mixture becomes too thick.
  9. Cook for about five minutes, until the beans are completely heated through
Serve with savoury rice or a simple green salad. I like to add a little hot salsa (½ syn 2 tbsp) and reduced fat sour cream (1 syn per tbsp). On Slimming World, wraps can't really be counted as healthy extras, so you will need to check the syn values as they range from 6½ to 10 syns per wrap.

No comments: